Testing databases/forms/etc (was Re: How many of you are Extreme Programmers?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Apr 18 09:28:02 EDT 2003

Qvx wrote:

> All work is done in Oracle
> database and Forms and they don't fit nicely with TDD (at least to
> me). How do you test a form? How do you test a lengthy database job
> whose input depends on dozens of tables and which modifies/creates
> records across dozens of tables?
>
> I might be in a position to influence some things here at my company
> so any help would be appreciated. Any thoughts on this? Books? Links?

You might check the archives of the extremeprogramming or
testdrivendevelopment mailing lists at groups.yahoo.com.  These
issues have been discussed there in the past, although I don't think
I would say I saw clear, concise instructions on how to avoid all
the problems in this area.  You might get some good ideas to get
past your mental blockage about how this could work.

-Peter