curses: xterm vs. linux terminal

Thomas Dickey dickey at saltmine.radix.net
Sun Apr 6 19:26:17 EDT 2003

Brian Alexander <brian094 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hello;

> Why is it that the curses special (alt) characters do not display on xterms?

> Ex:

> theScreenObj.box(curses.ACS_VLINE, curses.ACS_HLINE)
> theScreenObj.refresh()

> This code puts a box with graphical characters around the window when
> the terminal is of type linux. When the terminal is of type xterm,
> blanks appear where the line characters should be.

> Is there anyway to fix this behaviour? I find it hard to believe an
> xterm does not support the drawing of these simple graphical characters.

normally it doesn't (linux console doesn't draw lines either).

I modified XFree86 xterm a few years ago to draw lines when the font
does not contain them; you're apparently not using XFree86 (or else
thinking that "rxvt" is "xterm" ;-).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey at radix.net> <dickey at herndon4.his.com>
http://dickey.his.com