subclassing "object" class in C?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at
Mon Apr 7 21:27:46 CEST 2003

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:18:04 GMT
 Maciej Kalisiak <mac at>
> How does one subclass the "object" class in C?  A lot of
> examples I've seen of
> writing picklable subclasses in Python first subclass
> "object" (e.g. PEP 307).
> I'd like to do this in C, as that's where I'm writing an
> extension class/type.

Actually, you should make your C type a subclass of
PyType_Type.  This is the C equivalent of saying
"class C(object):".

You might look at the datetime classes, implemented in C,
as examples of how you would write a picklable type in C.
 In my very limited experience, it is harder than I

One thing you can do is define a helper function that makes
new instances and define a __reduce__ method on your class
that returns this helper function as the first argument.