Where did you learn to unit test? How did you learn?

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Tue Apr 29 16:00:56 EDT 2003

Quoth Christopher Blunck:
  [Josh suggests writing unit tests to tickle bugs]
> We do that already.  It works to a certain extent.  But usually
> requires brow beating of the bug fixer.  I guess we really just need
> some time to pass.  Unit testing is an investment and by definition
> investments don't pay off immediately.

In the case of bug-tickling tests, one of the big selling points
is that they let you make sure bugs don't come back.  This is an
easier sell if you can demonstrate (say, by analysis of historical
bug reports) that in the past bugs have been fixed and come back
again.  Even better if you can determine how much time was spent
troubleshooting reintroduced bugs from scratch.

--
Steven Taschuk             "The world will end if you get this wrong."
staschuk at telusplanet.net     -- "Typesetting Mathematics -- User's Guide",