please comment on technologies

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 26 21:15:47 EDT 2003

In article <slrnbalplq.254.luc at trillian.dont-panic.info>,
luc wastiaux  <luc at nospam.com> wrote:

>Hello, I am writing the specifications for a school project (the
>subject is free for us to choose), I was thinking about doing a
>news-server archive database just like google groups, but on a smaller
>scale (it would only archive a limited number of newsgroup, not all of
>USENET). I got this idea because my school uses a news server and a lot
>of valuable information is lost when old messages are erased from the
>server's spool.

One problem you *do* want to think about up-front is how you're going to
query the database.  Full-text searching can be a daunting task.

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93