O'Reilly Python Books

Arion rob
Wed Apr 16 10:37:48 EDT 2003

> [1] My major objection to Programming Python is that 1) part of it's
> too advanced to be a good tutorial; 2) it's not properly organized to
> be a good reference; and 3) too many sections of it depend on having
> read all the prior sections, which is somewhat acceptable for a
> tutorial, but really falls short for a book where you're going to skip
> around -- the examples aren't very self-contained.

I have found Programming Python 2e to be an outstanding work, partly because
I didn't have prerequisites for the book not to live up to, and partly
because I was someone whou could benefit from an advanced tutorial guiding
me gently through a lot of Pythonic concepts. I feel it greatly enhanced my
modest ability with the language by starting at the beginning and working
through.

For someone who has plumbed the depths of a few basic tutorials and
appreciates a certain flavor of organized tutorial, it's a fine book. I
think it comes down largely to what one wants/expects.

-Rob Andrews