Pythonic way of web-programming

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Apr 21 02:28:01 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 17:00, David Abrahams wrote:
> I don't understand; it already *is* plain Python.  While Donovan
> Preston and I were designing the syntax, his friend Bob was sitting on
> the couch coding it up.

Hmmm... I guess so.  I was thinking of lists following an object, but it
actualy gets parsed as a __getitem__ with a tuple as an argument.

> > The use of []'s isn't really necessary, and actually the expressions
> > could maybe be eval'd as well...
>
> You've lost me here.  Lots of the "syntax" choices aren't based on
> what's neccessary, but on what's clear and expressive.  As far as
> "eval" is concerned, well, I'm not sure if you realize this but those
> if_ and for_each elements are lazily evaluated.  The expression
> creates a callable object, "template", which generates new XML.

So it's not actually a Python program, it's Python syntax that gets
evaluated by your own evaluator...?  I was trying to see if it could be
an actual Python program, which would construct an object you could use
later to handle the XML.

  Ian