please comment on technologies

luc wastiaux luc at nospam.com
Sat Apr 26 16:06:19 EDT 2003

Hello, I am writing the specifications for a school project (the subject
is free for us to choose), I was thinking about doing a news-server
archive database just like google groups, but on a smaller scale (it would
only archive a limited number of newsgroup, not all of USENET). I got this
idea because my school uses a news server and a lot of valuable
information is lost when old messages are erased from the server's spool.

The project would be developped by a group of 4 to 6 CS students
(including me), over a three months timespan (but not full time, we have
to go to classes and other stuff)

I have a small experience with web stuff, but mostly with PHP, and some
perl. and I'm learning python right now.

I'm (almost) sure we will make use of python as the main language, and use
either Mysql or postgresql for the database (I'm familiar with mysql but
maybe it's too limited for what I want to do?). I just found out about
Spyce today and it looks like I could use it for the web interface.

Then I have this idea about using XSL for templating, the idea is not only
to separate the data from the representation, but also allow programmers
to "leech off" the search engine (it's easier to do this if the output is
XML).

Please comment on everything.. about the technological choices, and if
you want to suggest any features that we should add to the project, please
don't hesitate to tell me about it.

thanks a lot!

--
luc wastiaux