an ugly file-reading pattern

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Mon Apr 14 12:45:40 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>     Christian> Maybe you should have written it as :
>
>     Christian>     open = file("somefile")
>     Christian>     for line in open:
>     Christian>         process(line)
>
>     Christian> <2.2 wink>
>
> Yeah, stupid mistake.  I had part of the OP's original solution (vrbl named
> file) and part of mine...

I wouldn't call it stupid, it was just not newbie-friendly in a
context like this.

Unfortunately, for a long time `file` was an obvious variable name for
an open file and old habits die hard. Grepping over my source tree
shows 183 occurrences of it.

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36