*Newbie Question* --> Is it viable to distribute Python apps over the Internet?

Graham Fawcett graham__fawcett at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:56:51 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message news:<F3Epa.51023$LB6.1152908 at news1.tin.it>...
> A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> > Money does not make interested developers materialize,
>

> Surely you're joking, Mr Kuchling?

Alex, are you demonstrating the materialization of an interested
developer? ;-)

I think there are a lot of things that could motivate a developer to
contribute time:

money,
pride in workmanship,
sense of contribution,
sense of community and belonging,
unabashed praise from colleagues,
too much free time on hand,
invitations to Python conferences,
win-a-lunch-date-with-the-BDFL opportunities,
t-shirts ("import me", "I hacked Python and made the world a better
place for thousands of developers, and all I got was this lousy
t-shirt"),
plaques and certificates for the den,
thinkgeek toys,
prepaid slashdot subscriptions,
O'Reilly gift certificates,
prepaid Internet access or server hosting (okay, maybe that's too
much),
and of course,
the way that girls go crazy for Python contributors.

Of course we have no infrastructure for this (at least for the ones
that cost money). But I'm sure we could create one if the need arose.
If it would help to move our goals along, I would gladly pay an annual
Python tax, and/or participate in some kind of token economy. It would
be a small price to pay in return for the *tremendous* advantages (and
joys!) that the Python community provides to me.

In short, I think we should all send $20 a year to Guido, in return
for which he will dress in a toga once a month and do a
deus-ex-machina to bless and thank some unsuspecting Python
contributor on our common behalf.

-- Graham