Python Thread Question

Jp Calderone exarkun at
Tue Apr 22 21:23:17 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 04:51:20AM -0700, N.K wrote:
> aahz at (Aahz) wrote in message news:<b7meoo$mf6$1 at>...
> >
> > This isn't quite true on a multi-CPU box.  Because I/O releases the GIL,
> > the OS can schedule threads to run on all available CPUs.  So it's
> > certainly possible for a threaded app to outrun non-blocking I/O.
>   Heard that new Intel Processors support Hyper Threading ( HT)
> Architecture from which multi-threaded apps can benefit from. Is that
> true?

  Some (All?) P4s have this technology.  Practically speaking, this means
applications see the system as having multiple processors.  More than one
thread can run at once.  So yes, multi-threaded apps benefit from this in
much the same way they benefit from traditional SMP systems.

Seduced, shaggy Samson snored.
She scissored short.  Sorely shorn,
Soon shackled slave, Samson sighed,
Silently scheming,