Python Thread Question

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Tue Apr 22 15:23:17 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 04:51:20AM -0700, N.K wrote:
> aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote in message news:<b7meoo$mf6$1 at panix2.panix.com>...
> >
> > This isn't quite true on a multi-CPU box.  Because I/O releases the GIL,
> > the OS can schedule threads to run on all available CPUs.  So it's
> > certainly possible for a threaded app to outrun non-blocking I/O.
>

>   Heard that new Intel Processors support Hyper Threading ( HT)
> Architecture from which multi-threaded apps can benefit from. Is that
> true?

  Some (All?) P4s have this technology.  Practically speaking, this means
applications see the system as having multiple processors.  More than one
thread can run at once.  So yes, multi-threaded apps benefit from this in
much the same way they benefit from traditional SMP systems.

  Jp

--
Seduced, shaggy Samson snored.
She scissored short.  Sorely shorn,