mp3 or wave ---> midi , in python , how?

Simon Wittber (Maptek) Simon.Wittber at perth.maptek.com.au
Thu Apr 3 22:42:23 EST 2003

Frank wrote:

>Hi, All:
>
> Who can tell me how to do this in python ,are there any modules
existing
> can help me?

Wave files (mp3s) are digitised sound waves. Midi files are sequences of
notes which are fed into a synthesizer, usually your soundcard, which
reproduces the music. No doubt you already know this...

I have seen and used software (some time ago) which attempts to convert
wave files to midi data, however it only produced one channel of midi
which
is essentially useless unless you are a composer trying to extract a
sequence of notes from a small piece of music.

I think you will find it very difficult to find an application which
does
this properly, let alone a python module.

Simonw.