How many of you are Extreme Programmers?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 19 20:13:24 EDT 2003

Roy Smith:
> I agree that all those things are good things, but by the time you've
> made that many changes to the language, what's left that it can still
> call itself BASIC?

Put it this way.  When I got QuickBasic, I had already programmed
on TI Basic, TI Extended Basic, GW-Basic, Atari Basic, Apple Basic,
TRS-80 Basic, and a few more.

My working definition of BASIC then is "could I sit down and
start writing programs in it with little help"  (eg, some syntax changes,
graphics calls, etc, were different).  And the answer is yes, I could
start being productive in QuickBasic right away.

Then take away line numbers.  (Whoo-hoo!  No need to 'renum'!)
Then replace "gosub" with a real function.

So yes, QB should be called a BASIC.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com