How to compile a python script to *.pyo

Martin Franklin MFranklin1 at
Thu Apr 3 21:24:07 CEST 2003

danny at wrote:
> I'm new on this, please bear with we.
> Let's say I have this script:
> --------------------------
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> x = 'Hello Python'
> print x,
> --------------------------
> How can I compile this script to *.pyo?

I'll ignore the why's and wherefore's and give you what I consider a
straight answer.....

pydoc compileall

  Python Library Documentation: module compileall

     compileall - Module/script to "compile" all .py files to .pyc (or
.pyo) file.

     When called as a script with arguments, this compiles the directories
     given as arguments recursively; the -l option prevents it from
     recursing into directories.

     Without arguments, if compiles all modules on sys.path, without
     recursing into subdirectories.  (Even though it should do so for
     packages -- for now, you'll have to deal with packages separately.)

     See module py_compile for details of the actual byte-compilation.

     compile_dir(dir, maxlevels=10, ddir=None, force=0, rx=None)
         Byte-compile all modules in the given directory tree.

I use this for yes you've guessed it compiling my applications, on the fly
as they are installed.