collecting data from file

Mustafa Celik mustafa.celik at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 11 11:07:15 EDT 2003

The file that I'm analyzing guarantees to have >4 columns, and lines
contain string, integer, float..., they are seperated by spaces.

An example line is as below:

  1850099.32 HELLO 0xfce 6 OTTAWA stree_number_200 exit_Metcalfe
take_hw_417 arrive_at_Ottawa_Airport

2nd column will tell me if someone has arrive, 3rd column will tell me
how much $ they'll bring with them, and 4th column will tell who he is
(a hex guy).

I will find out;
   * how many people arrived and did not leave,
   * how many have arrived and left
   * how much we have in Ottawa at the end
   * how much transient money flow have occured

My file may contain some lines that only leaves Ottawa, so I should
ignore them (they probably arrived earlier, and should not decrement my
dollar gain)  - This condition is not very important, if it'll
complicate things, I have other ways to prevent this.

I found a good awk document  last night (can't remember the web site), I
was planning to dig in it today, but you guys have supported me with my
initial plan with Python. I'm not a beginner in Python, this is probably
not the best project to start with, but I need to have this done by Awk
or Python, ...

Thanks,
   Mustafa