Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Sun Apr 6 18:47:03 EDT 2003

On Saturday 05 April 2003 22:51, Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:
> Here is the background.  I'm working on a file editor (called
> PyAlaMode) using wxPython and Scintilla.  It's an extension of the
> PyCrust code base.  I've got a basic version working, and it supports
> editing multiple files and all the usual, basic features.  But I want
> it to be as customizable and extensible as Emacs.  In fact, I want to
> model it after Emacs, so that elisp code could be rewritten in Python
> and work with PyAlaMode.  To do that, I've got to support the same
> primitives as Emacs; expose files, buffers, regions, and windows the
> same way Emacs does; handle the Emacs keybindings and ability to remap
> keys, the same way Emacs does, etc.

I was actually pondering this earlier in the week as I read more of the elisp
and emacs docs.

One thing about emacs is that even though it is based on elisp most people can
blissfully ignore that and just use it.  Please, if you make a newer, better,
GUI editor with a Python backend do not limit it or even aim it at the Python
community.  Make it the great new thing for ALL text editing.  This is why I
use emacs over vi -- I can teach the editor about whatever it is I am editing
and decrease the amount of time I spend typing in text. 6 years of vi and now
a year and a half with emacs i can't imagine going back.  To get me to leave
emacs will require something with all of emacs' might and more modern
features.

real pop up hints, suggestive programming, etc as seen in commercial IDEs
would be nice.  As much as the IDEs have improved they are still one trick
ponies that can only be used to edit source so a real editor like emacs still
wins overall.  Support for refactoring regardless of the language.  World
peace.  you name it.