a new pythonista?

Ben Hutchings do-not-spam-ben.hutchings at businesswebsoftware.com
Mon Apr 28 14:41:50 EDT 2003

In article <7xvqa.4236$b67.1131392 at read2.cgocable.net>, Mark Nenadov wrote:
> Anna wrote:
>
>> My daughter just asked me about this "python stuph". So I pulled up
>> livewires.org.uk and showed her some basics.
>>
>> She just coded her first while loop and for loop... she thought it was
>> kewl! In fact, we had to kick her off the computer and send her to bed cuz
>> she's got so much to do tomorrow...
>>
>> FWIW, she's 12...
>
> Wow! That is excellent!
>
> I introduced by nephew to the Python language when he was about 8 or so. We
> never get much further than the 'print' statement, though :>

I wrote my first programs when I was 6, in BASIC.  If I remember correctly,
they converted temperatures in degrees celsius to degrees fahrenheit, and
vice versa.  If Python had existed then, I might have been able to write
something interesting and wouldn't have got stuck in that stupid language
for so long.