Catching Save - newbie

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Apr 16 10:22:18 EDT 2003

Michael Hudson wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
> > One of the most important things to learn as a programmer is this,
> > as stated by various people but most popularly attributed to Knuth:
> > "Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming."
>
> And Knuth really did say it!  In "Structured Programming with goto
> Statements", on page 268 of the rather naff scan[*] I have of it, we
> find:
>
>  "We /should/ forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time:
>  premature optimization is the root of all evil."
>
> So even you have managed to misquote him, unless he (or someone else)
> said it differently somewhere else.
>
> [*] you can get your own naff scan easily enough with google; I can't
>     remember where mine came from.

The last time I used Google (of which I'm well aware of course), it
told me that Knuth was in fact merely paraphrasing someone else
(google can tell you who it was, if you wish ;-), and since I was
not directly quoting him, but merely paraphrasing "various people"
myself, I made no claims that he said precisely that.  It is, after all,
the sentiment that matters, more than the specific words used to convey
them.

-Peter