HTML form pre-populating functionality or hints on building myown

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Apr 17 07:32:55 EDT 2003

"Ian Bicking" <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 21:39, Scott Chapman wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I'm wanting to find (or make) a module that will take a HTML file,
locate the
> > input-related form tags (<INPUT, <TEXTAREA, <SELECT, <OPTION) and modify
them
> > by putting in values from a dictionary (i.e. pre-populate the form). I
want a
> > module that is implemented 100% in python and does _not_ use any special
tags
> > to do this (such as webware, albatross, spyce, etc.)
>
> Huh... for some reason it's never occured to me to do it this way, I
> always emit the tags with the values filled in, rather than parsing the
> HTML.  An interesting idea.
>
> Of course someone may correct me, but I haven't seen anything like this
> for Python, and I at least try to keep an eye out for such stuff.

I'd be happy to :-). See

    http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientForm/

It's a very interesting module, and appears (from my own limited testing) to
work well.

[...]

>From the documentation: """ClientForm is a Python module for handling HTML
forms on the client side, useful for parsing HTML forms, filling them in and
returning the completed forms to the server. It developed from a port of
Gisle Aas' Perl module HTML::Form, from the libwww-perl library, but the
interface is not the same"""

regards
How lucky am I?      http://www.google.com/search?q=Steve+Holden&btnI=1