Good Python generators example?

Aahz aahz at
Sun Apr 20 23:34:20 CEST 2003

In article <paDoa.1611$hT2.1228371 at>,
Robert Oschler <no_replies at fake_email_address.invalid> wrote:
>Can someone point me to a nice concise Python 2.2 compatible example of the
>use of generators?

ARK's example was a good example of the algorithmic use of generators;
here's a short example of what I'd call workday use of generators:

import re
def grep(regex, seq):
    regex can be either string or compiled regex; ``re`` doesn't care.
    seq can be an iterator -- there's just no good abbreviation other
    than iter()

    regex = re.compile(regex)
    for line in seq:
            yield line

The nice thing about this is that it pipelines *very* well with other
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?