Pythonic way of web-programming

Andy Robinson andy at
Thu Apr 17 22:38:50 CEST 2003

On 16 Apr 2003 00:35:05 -0500, Ian Bicking <ianb at>

>On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 03:11, Alex Martelli wrote:
>> However -- look at the XML situation for contrast.  There IS just such
>> a standard (and parts of it ARE in the standard libraries, while others,
>> PyXML stuff, integrate as seamlessly as they can with those via some
>> import tricks).  AND YET -- you guys have developed and maintain PyRXP,
>> which uses substantially different interfaces -- *AND WELL IT DOES*,
>> because thanks to the different interfaces (trees of bare tuples, or
>> lists as the case may be, rather than intricate objects as in DOM) it
>> can save a LOT of memory, and generally zip along much, much faster.
>> Aren't there analogies here...?

I m having a little trouble following this as my newsreader does not
show my own post and the first day of replies (hardly a surprise
with BlueYonder), but I will try to infer what went between.

I did gripe a lot about Python's XML tools up to about 2 years ago,
but the main driver was the general lack of how-to documentation.
This problem has been very well addressed in PyXML and in
several good books, and Python does have a clear standard now.

We went our own way for what I hope are very clearly stated
reasons on the pyRXP page.  Also, RXP is GPL, which killed
any plans to try and get it into the Python distro - I tried
to get that changed but could not.  But I do have a "roadmap" to
bring that back into the fold one day.
1. The "tuple tree" structure and a standard getattr-based DOM-like
wrapper for it (whih I know Alex has been playing with) could be in
the Python XML package or even the standard library
2. A modest change to pyexpat would let it be generated at C-like
speeds without pyRXP
3. If you can bear GPL - or pay us :-) - you can use pyRXP for
validation.  But you won't really need it to get the speed of our

Finding the time to execute the plan is of course much harder - it
might happen if some huge corporate swallows up ReportLab and
pays us to write cool code, but we now have a "solved problem"
so it's hard to really get wound up for it.

I'll join in with the rest when i find the intervening
2 days somewhere :-)

- Andy