split encloser

Chris aussie2010 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 07:25:00 EDT 2003

sjmachin at lexicon.net (John Machin) wrote in message

> Aussie cobber,
>
> REs are about as useful as a hip pocket on a singlet when it comes to
> data that includes the "encloser" as well. For example in a database,
> yer old Auntie Mabel's address_line_1 might be
>
>    "Emoh Ruo", 123 Smith St
>
> but would appear as
>
>    """Emoh Ruo"", 123 Smith St"
>
> in an exported file (or it should).
>
> Get onta Dave Cole's you-beaut CSV module at:
>
> http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/csv/
>
> Cheerio,
> John

John,
Thanks for the info. Very slick. Nice that it handles embedded
carriage returns, that's something that Outlook outputs in it's CSV if
you have them in your notes/comments field,and the other Personal
Information Managers don't seem to be able to handle when you try and
import that CSV file. They could use that module.

I tried to do the full install, but it didn't work for some reason
with OpenWatcom (the only C compiler I have installed):
-----------------
D:\Downloads\Python\csv\csv-1.0>d:\python22\python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_ext
building 'csv' extension
d:\watcom\BINNT\cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W3 /GX
-Id:\python22\include /Tccsv.c
 /Fobuild\temp.win32-2.2\Release\csv.obj
csv.c
d:\python22\include\pyport.h(480): Error! E1091: "LONG_BIT definition
appears wr
ong for platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
csv.c(106): Warning! W202: Symbol 'parse_prepend_char' has been
defined, but not
 referenced
error: command 'cl.exe' failed with exit status 255

D:\Downloads\Python\csv\csv-1.0>

I did get the Win32 binary to work (although I had to try a couple of
times to find out what directory to put it in since they don't tell
help us newbies out by listing it).