distributed computing implementations

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 11 17:04:01 EDT 2003

Robin Becker wrote:

> sigh :(
> for real distributed computing I wouldn't want to hold the sockets open.

Sorry if I missed that requirement. I was just responding to Duncan's
CORBA timings...

> I just tried the original server.py/time-client.py pair again this time
> on a freeBSD system
>
> freeBSD-->localhost 500 secs
> freeBSD-->192.168.0.3 50 secs (a local win32 machine).
>

> I guess I'm just not doing what I think I'm doing.

I really can't explain these numbers either? Localhost is 10 times slower
than over the network???

Unless your client & server both struggle for CPU cycles on the same machine
at the same time...

--Irmen