curses: xterm vs. linux terminal

Thomas Dickey dickey at saltmine.radix.net
Tue Apr 8 08:05:15 EDT 2003

Brian Alexander <brian094 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I think you are right. The terminal comes up as gnome-terminal when ps
> is run. I guess it is supposed to provide xterm-like behaviour.

> I tried running the xterm from gnome-terminal and after it loaded, I ran
> my box-drawing program. The line characters (ACS_HLINE etc.) still worked.

> What is the difference between these two terminal programs? Does the one
> just interact with Gnome a little better?

more/less (there are a lot of reasons people would do something like that).

The multi-gnome-terminal (mgt) version incorporates a chunk of code from
XFree86 xterm for line-drawing.  Perhaps sometime it'll become the version
shipped with gnome (seems to have about half as many bugs).

The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
There's an faq at
	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
	ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/

--