Why functional Python matters

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sat Apr 19 09:45:11 EDT 2003

"Thaddeus L Olczyk" <olczyk at interaccess.com> wrote in message
news:bdh1avcltqircf31cnkfro4thkafe2pamq at 4ax.com...
> On 19 Apr 2003 00:33:57 +0200, Nils Goesche <ngo at cartan.de> wrote:
>
> >Thaddeus L Olczyk <olczyk at interaccess.com> writes:
> >
> >> While it's true that in math and CS, many definitions evolve
> >> over time ( ones that come to mind right now are
> >> function/procedure [which were distinct, now considered the
> >> same thing], fiber bundles, sheaves, topological space ... ),
> >
> >Actually, the resp. definitions of fiber bundles, sheaves and
> >topological spaces /haven't/ changed much over time.  If they
> >have changed at all, once they were called by that names.
> >
> When Gauss spoke of topological spaces they were more
> like smooth manifolds ( smooth Hausdorff manifolds to be more
> precise ). The definition changed over a period of time till
> it settled on it's present definition mid 40's ( IIRC).
>
> Steenrod discusses the problems of varying definitions
> of fibre bundles in his book.
>
> I'll skip sheaves since I don't remember the details.
> >> that's all just bullshit thrown out to distract people from
> >> *your stupidity*.
> >
> >Darn, I had hoped I'd get away with it one more time.
> >
> Don't you mean twice, as it's clear that this reply is
> another attempt at distraction, totally ignoring the
> issues.
>
> >> Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
> >
> >I was somewhat hoping that now, having finally obtained your
> >degree,
> Sorry to disillusion you, but I got my doctorate many years ago.
> I stopped keeping track when it passed ten.
>
> Perhaps you will learn from this mistake. Making unfounded
> assumptions will often cause you to make dumb errors. Keep
> this in mind when you start doing serious programming, as
> it wil save you from a lot of  errors in your code.
>
> >which is seemingly very important to you,
> Is it? I suppose so. A doctorate is not something just anyone
> can accomplish. It takes a dedicated effort over a period of years,
> something most people don't have the patience for.
>
> Most of the time I really don't think about it. It's just something
> I did in the past.
>

> >you'd have
> >become a bit more relaxed.  I was wrong.
> You seem to be wrong quite a bit of the time. Perhaps you would
> not be wrong as much if you did not make unfounded assumptions.
> Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
> Think twice, code once.

See what happens when the Lispers invade (or did we invade them? - either
way, it didn't take long to descend to the stage of ugly name-calling). I
didn't think an 11-year-old would be able to *get* a Ph.D. If it's just
something he did in the past, why does it appear at the foot of every email
he sends out?

glad-to-stick-to-a-friendlier-environment-ly y'rs  - steve