Python 2.3b1 + Tkinter on Solaris 2.6

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 27 04:18:24 EDT 2003

Jeff Bauer <jbauer at rubic.com> writes:

> Prior to filing a bug report, I wanted to check
> if there's anything obvious I'm overlooking with
> getting tk8.4.2 working with Python2.3b1 on
> Solaris 2.6.

You are overlooking something, but it is not obvious, and it is likely
not a bug in Python.

> *** WARNING: renaming "_tkinter" since importing it failed:
>   ld.so.1: ./python: fatal: relocation error: file
>   /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.so: symbol __eprintf: referenced symbol not
> found

__eprintf is traditionally a symbol from libgcc.a, and gets into
object files whenever the source code has assert().

It appears that your Tk installation was made with a gcc version that
had assert implemented with __eprintf. Could it be that you have
changed gcc versions since?  If so, you need to recompile Tk (or,
alternatively, link python and/or _tkinter.so with the gcc version
that was used to link Tk)

Regards,
Martin