Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) ckea25d02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Apr 6 23:50:08 EDT 2003

Carl Banks wrote:
> As an example, take the section on buffers.  First function is
> "current-buffer".
> Next three functions are "save-current-buffer", "with-current-buffer",
> and "with-temp-buffer".  These are actually not functions, but special
> forms and macros.

In a truly Pythonic design, I think I would do away with
the notion of a current-buffer as a dynamically scoped
global variable. Instead, the buffer to be operated on
would be passed as a parameter to anything which does
things to a buffer (or they would be methods of Buffer).

You may need to have a current-buffer and associated
functions for elisp compatibility, but they should be
implemented on top of a more Pythonic layer.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,