Decoding / Encoding ASN1 BER?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Apr 14 04:15:13 EDT 2003

Richard wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the best way of  encoding and decoding BER ASN1 using
> Python? I'm looking for the most popular solution and if possible any code
> examples.

Which benefits of the solution being "most popular" are of value to you?

What definition of "most popular" do you intend, or are you willing to
take any definition, such as "most downloaded" or "most widely used in
actual released software", even if it's not defined by the respondent.

What don't you like about the results provided by Google to searches
for things like "Python ASN1", including Google Groups which, one would
think, should provide you with at least one objective way to measure
"most popular".

(I don't really mean these questions facetiously.  I seem to be taking
such questions fairly literally lately, and really can't figure out
what you want from your question.)

I noticed SNMPY appears often in search results, as well as several
previously-unknown-to-me libraries when I do these searches.  It's not
clear whether any of these are currently supported (which might be
something you require as part of a package being "most popular"),
except _perhaps_ the one which appears to be in Twisted, which I
posted about only several days ago...  (Twisted is of course very
actively developed, but whether that particular part is supported or
not, or even finished, is another story.)

(And please remember to post to the list/newsgroup once you have
an answer, so others can benefit from your research in the future.)

-Peter