Random web page?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 18 10:05:20 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> I believe it's since version 1.1 that HTTP has required clients to
> supply the domain name in the HTTP request, to allow this kind of
> virtual hosting.  Think of it as nothing more (to use your analogy)
> than putting a name on an envelope *along with* the address, to
> get it to the right person there.  Prior to 1.1 (?) HTTP allowed
> specifying only the street address...

The "host" header became mandatory in HTTP 1.1

http://rfc.net/rfc2616.html#s14.23

It was optional in HTTP 1.0

http://rfc.net/rfc1945.html

Many HTTP 1.0 implementations chose to provide the "host" header anyway,
even though it wasn't mandatory, to facilitate virtual hosting. The most
notable of these is Netscape 4.x.

I believe that there are very few browsers left out there that don't
supply the "host" header.

You can check browser headers at this address

http://xhaus.com/headers

--
alan kennedy