When Python outruns C++ ...

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) ckea25d02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Apr 3 19:58:32 EST 2003

Anders J. Munch wrote:
> Here's a brilliant algorithm for register allocation that I just stole
> from the PSU labs.
>
> 1. Generate all possible combinations.
> 2. Score each of them according to estimated performance.
> 3. Pick the best scoring combination.
 >
 > Now try with 8 registers and 10 variables.  1,073,741,824 variations.

Of course, before leaking this algorithm to you
(you don't *really* believe they didn't know you
were after it, do you?) the PSU removed the final
and most important step:

   4. Use the time machine to deliver the results
      a few microseconds after the problem was submitted.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,