How many of you are Extreme Programmers?

Jp Calderone exarkun at
Thu Apr 17 15:43:47 CEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:37:20PM +0100, Robin Becker wrote:
> In article <3E9EA707.4DB53582 at>, Peter Hansen
> <peter at> writes
> >> This sounds remarkably similar to what we commonly call genetic
> >> optimisation or evolution strategy selection. There a fitness criterion
> >> is applied to randomly selected elements of a pool of solutions, with
> >
> >The key is that XP is _not_ applying "randomly selected elements".
> >The experience and abilities of the programmer are heavily involved
> >in the process.
> interestingly genetic programming et al seem to perform worse when
> attempts are made to 'direct' the evolution.

  Only if you direct the evolution in the wrong way >:)

> --
> Robin Becker
> --

It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential
programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of
regeneration.        -- Dijkstra