How about Python + Mozilla for large apps?

Alessandro Bottoni alessandro.bottoni at
Wed Apr 9 00:05:19 CEST 2003

Is there any project aimed to embed the Python interpreter inside
Mozilla OR to make available the XUL/XBL GUI engine of Mozilla to the Python
interpreter OR to create a full-capability bridge between Mozilla and Python
(maybe via XPCOM)?

I'm thinking that coupling the sophisticated UI features of Mozilla (XUL+XBL)
to a powerful interpreter like Python (or Java, Ruby, etc...) would allow the
development of full-blown, well-engineered, cross-platform applications:
unlimited access to a lot of different RDBMS, unlimited access to the hosting
platform (Windows, MacOS, and Linux/Unix) and all of its services, unlimited
access to a lot of different plug-ins (PyNum, PyGame, py*) and so on.

It seems that this idea was somehow already presented by Ian Oescher in this
But I'm unable to find any more information on this topic.

Thanks for your attention.

BTW: As long as I can understand PyXPCOM is not what I'm looking for. It is a
way to create XPCOM components in Python and use them in Mozilla. Instead,
I'm looking for a (simple) way to have access to the _whole_ Python
interpreter from within a Mozilla javascript OR to have access to the whole
XUL/XBL technology of Mozilla from within a Python script (like it was
WxPython). Probably I'm wrong, given that ActiveState created Komodo with
PyXPCOM, but... I have this feeling.

The nsIProcess or nsILocalFile interfaces of Mozilla could probably do this
job by invoking the interpreter but how about setting/getting parameters,
communicating with the running interpreter and using a single copy of the
interpreter for many different task? I'm rather thinking to something like
mod_python for Apache.
Alessandro Bottoni