How about Python + Mozilla for large apps?

Alessandro Bottoni alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it
Tue Apr 8 18:05:19 EDT 2003

Is there any project aimed to embed the Python interpreter inside
Mozilla OR to make available the XUL/XBL GUI engine of Mozilla to the Python
interpreter OR to create a full-capability bridge between Mozilla and Python
(maybe via XPCOM)?

I'm thinking that coupling the sophisticated UI features of Mozilla (XUL+XBL)
to a powerful interpreter like Python (or Java, Ruby, etc...) would allow the
development of full-blown, well-engineered, cross-platform applications:
unlimited access to a lot of different RDBMS, unlimited access to the hosting
platform (Windows, MacOS, and Linux/Unix) and all of its services, unlimited
access to a lot of different plug-ins (PyNum, PyGame, py*) and so on.

It seems that this idea was somehow already presented by Ian Oescher in this
article: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/xul/xulnotes/xulnote_oven.html
But I'm unable to find any more information on this topic.

Thanks for your attention.

BTW: As long as I can understand PyXPCOM is not what I'm looking for. It is a
way to create XPCOM components in Python and use them in Mozilla. Instead,
I'm looking for a (simple) way to have access to the _whole_ Python
interpreter from within a Mozilla javascript OR to have access to the whole
XUL/XBL technology of Mozilla from within a Python script (like it was
WxPython). Probably I'm wrong, given that ActiveState created Komodo with
PyXPCOM, but... I have this feeling.

The nsIProcess or nsILocalFile interfaces of Mozilla could probably do this
job by invoking the interpreter but how about setting/getting parameters,
communicating with the running interpreter and using a single copy of the
interpreter for many different task? I'm rather thinking to something like
mod_python for Apache.

Alessandro Bottoni