Pythonic way of web-programming

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Apr 16 07:51:23 EDT 2003

On 16 Apr 2003 00:35:05 -0500,
	Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> I don't think FastCGI has much relation to CGI.  I don't entirely
> understand FastCGI, but from what I can tell it just sucks -- it's
> easier to do the same thing with a simpler socket connection ...

The FastCGI protocol is really complicated because it supports multiplexing
several different transactions over one socket.  Data is broken up into
multiple packets, each with a unique transaction ID, and the process on the
other end can then reassemble them and hand them out to different threads.
However, I'm not sure the Apache mod_fastcgi supports this and few client
modules seem to, so all of that complexity buys nothing in most cases.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
FLUTE: Nay, faith, let me not play a woman; I have a beard coming.
      -- _A Midsummer Night's Dream_, I, ii