Overloading and? was <RE: Should I prefer an external database>

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Thu Apr 24 14:00:59 EDT 2003

Quoth Andrew Dalke:
  [...overloadable, short-circuiting operators...]
> Ahhh, a nit-picker, eh?  :)
>
> Let's see.  I said:
> ] There's no way to implement that behaviour in Python, so
> ] it cannot be overridden.
>
> I submit that a language which worked in your suggested manner
> would not be Python.
>
> The nit is now in your court!

Hm.  I'm not sure I understand what would make such a language not
Python.

I agree, of course, that no known Python has such special __and__
and __or__ methods.  But that no *known* Python works as I
suggested does not mean that no *possible* Python works thus.
(Consider that not long ago the yield statement was not part of
any known Python.  And imho generators are a much larger change to
the language than two new special methods with unusual arguments.)

--
Steven Taschuk              Aral: "Confusion to the enemy, boy."
staschuk at telusplanet.net    Mark: "Turn-about is fair play, sir."