Running Python 2.3 on a Windows 2000 network

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Aug 12 04:40:29 EDT 2003

John Ochiltree wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> What do I have to do to set up python 2.3 to run centrally on a Win 2000
> network instead of installing it on every workstation?

Well, if you have a Windows network, you need scripted installs :-P
Otherwise administering a Windows network is too much of a PITA in my
opinion.

> Is it possible?

Sure. Get an installed Python, copy the c:\python23 directory to a
network share, then grab the file %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\python23.dll and
copy it alongside python.exe. Now all your clients can access Python via
the share name.

> How do I go about updating individual registeries? I'd appreciate some
> pointers and advice if any one can help.

Python itself doesn't need any registry entries. If you use the COM
stuff of the win32 extensions, though, this might be different.

-- Gerhard