Celebrity advice

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Aug 27 13:30:24 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote previously:
|It may be safe to say it, but is it true, or merely hyperbole?
|Were there "100s of millions of murders" in the 20th century

The 99% seems like an overstatement.  But the 100s of millions does not.
"State sponsored" murder was awfully prevalent in the 20th C (and
before, and since).

A good resource is:

    http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstats.htm

It's unlikely that a single one of those listed occurrences would have
been substantially different because of local ESR-style gun-nuts in the
various places.  In fact, in many or most of the places, the murdered
populations -were- armed in the way ESR advocates.

ESR's "arguments" boil down to:  (1) Wow, isn't it fun hearing guns make
a loud bang; (2) Oh yeah, be careful not to point them at people by
accident; (3) This bunch of invented history kinda-sorta supports my
nutsiness, if you squint and don't think about it too hard; (4) Did I
mention that I like to hear loud bangs?

Yours, Lulu...

--
 mertz@   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:_/_/_/_/ v i
gnosis  _/_/                    Postmodern Enterprises         _/_/  s r