Replacement for rexec/Bastion?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 27 11:31:21 EDT 2003

"Michael Chermside" <mcherm at mcherm.com> wrote in message

> > Yes, this is messy UNIXy stuff, and loses portability, which is
bad,
> > but it at least seems to make it possible to do this stuff.

Even though (and because!) I currently have a Windows desktop, I would
expect and want to run a *nix server if I wanted to run untrusted
code.  A non-portable (but relatively easily implemented) solution is
far better than none at all.

> If you DO wind up going this route, I'm guessing that the code
> to launch an untrusted-code-runner in a separate process would be
> quite popular if it were released back to the Python community,
> judging from the number of times this question gets raised.

Seconded.  A good solution would, for instance, make it possible to
run the Python tutorial online.  "Try before you buy"  etc.

Terry J. Reedy