ClientCookie bug (followup)

John J. Lee jjl at
Tue Aug 19 14:30:24 CEST 2003

pythonguy at (Anand Pillai) writes:

> I am working on a Cookie module which works *with* urllib2 rather
> than on top of it like the existing ClientCookie module. It uses
> the Cookie module which comes with python standard library.

Interesting, though I don't know quite what you mean.

First, if there's a way to work more closely with urllib2 than I've
figured out (which is quite possible), this patch needs to know about
it, so please post a comment:

If I understand what you mean, ClientCookie only works 'on top of'
rather than 'with' urllib2 to the extent that it currently has to
cut-n-paste code to add cookie handling to urllib2.  That patch is
designed to remove the need to cut-n-paste, which would mean you'd do
urllib2.urlopen (after building an OpenerDirector that has an
HTTPCookieProcessor from ClientCookie) instead of ClientCookie.urlopen
as is required at present.

Second: is your module intended to do what ClientCookie does
(ie. figure out what cookies should be set and returned, and do so),
or is it just a more OO way of getting and returning Cookie headers?
I guess the latter?

> This module is written as an extension of my Harvestman webcrawler.
> The alpha code is ready. We are doing testing right now.

Is this the Royal We?  ;-)

> Details will be posted to my website at
> within say 2 weeks or so.

Please do post an announcement to, or I'll forget.