spawnv( ) or spawnl( ) do not launch a normal running process in Python 2.2.2?

nushin nushin2 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 14:27:15 EDT 2003

Try to launch a test program that prints hello world for a minute or
so using, spawnv( ) or spawnl( ). Check to see the process state code
that the program is running. I am using RedHat Linux 7.3 and Python
2.2.2 and i see that the program is either launched as Zombie state
using spawnv(), or running in State "S" sleep in spawnl( ).

Here's the sample code that launches my program:

os.spawnv(os.P_NOWAIT,'/usr/bin/python',('python hello.py >/dev/null
&'))

os.spawnl(os.P_NOWAIT,'/usr/bin/python',('python hello.py >/dev/null
&'))

When you launch a program in Linux, you want it to run in state "R" ,
a running state. Am i the only one who has this problem? Would the
author of spawnv(), spawnl() look into this problem please.

Regards,
Nushin