time, calendar, datetime, etc

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 4 14:40:01 EDT 2003

John Roth
> On the
> same token, though, it shouldn't get in the way of people who want to
> extend it to handle additional calendar types, or bring dates back before
> 1AD.

But it doesn't.  I showed an easy way to derive from the datetime
class to support dates before 1AD, by doing an offset of 6,000 years.

class RothDate(object):
  def __init__(self, year, month, day):
    self._date = datetime.date(year + 6000, month, day)
  year = property(lambda self: self._date.year - 6000)
  month = property(lambda self: self._date.month)
  day = property(lambda self: self._date.day)

  def weekday(self): self._date.weekday

d = RothDate(-200, 2, 10)
print d.year, d.month. d.day
print d.weekday()