Is Python your only programming language?

Nikola Plejic nplejic.remove at programiranje.nospam.net
Tue Aug 12 04:38:53 EDT 2003

In news:3F389887.F7AB871E at alcyone.com,
Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

> Joe Cheng wrote:
>
>> I want to ask you hard-core c.l.p Pythonistas: Do you use Python for
>> everything?  (and I'm counting Python + C extensions as just Python)
>> Or do
>> you keep another language equally close at hand, and if so, what is
>> it?  And
>> finally, do you foresee a day when Python can be, for all practical
>> intents
>> and purposes, your only programming language?
>
> I get paid to write C++ or C, use Python for recreational projects,
> and use shell, Python, or (rarely) Perl for administration tasks.  For
> recreation and exploration I play around with a variety of other
> languages, including Io, APL/J, Logo, Prolog, Scheme, and so on.

I use Python for most of my projects, but for web I use PHP. I also have some
knowledge of C++ (but very limited), and I am planning on expanding that
knowledge soon. I started learning C++ before Python, but when I saw Python, I
paused learning C++ and turned to Python.

Python can suit most of the programming needs today, but not all. It has
limitations, just as any other programming language and I think there will
always be cases where using some other programming language will be more
efficient or more suitable for some projects.

As for me, personally, Python suits my needs even now, as I am not some
advanced programmer, but I suppose I will see some limitations and downsides as
I progress.

I also play around with Visual Basic with my friend a bit when we're at school,
but he knows VB way better than I do.

--

Greets,
Nikola