python & postgresql ?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 11:49:33 EDT 2003

    Tom> I'm trying to develop a cross-platform python-gui for a postgresql
    Tom> db.  Of course, I need some postgresql-module for python...
    Tom> Pygresql seems the obvious choice, but I'm developing on windows
    Tom> xp.  To get pygresql to work I need to compile pygresql with a
    Tom> visual c++ compiler (wich I don't have).

I think you're going to have to find a way to compile C code on your machine
(mingw, cygwin, etc) or find a binary distribution of one of the PostgreSQL
modules.  I use psycopg.  You should be able to find a binary installer for
one of the possibilities.

You could also start development on Linux and when it's good enough, maybe a
Windows person will step in to help out.

Skip