Problem installing Python 2.2/2.3 on Windows 98 SE

Marko Komssi marko.komssi at helsinki.fi
Fri Aug 29 08:01:14 EDT 2003

"Rami A. Kishek" <ramiak2000 at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3F41ADC4.3642D39B at yahoo.com>...

> Obvious problems:
>   * IDLE doesn't start at all

You mentioned below that you have installed it under C:\Program
Files\Python. See the page http://www.python.org/2.3/bugs.html. It is
a bug in Python.

> -----------------
> D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py:455:
> DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
>   self.currentView.dowrite(string.join(items,''))
> PythonWin 2.2.3 (#42, May 30 2003, 18:12:08) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
> win32.

I had similar looking problem myself. I had e.g. the error message
"strop functions are obsolete; use string methods" over and over
again. The problem occured because I had left Windows Command Prompt
open when installing newer Python version and editing path in
environment variables from System Properties. Naturally, path was not
updated for already opened Command Prompt and that cause the problem.

Just in case, check that there is correct python path in environment
variables. However, you need to reinstall Python in a different
directory to handle the IDLE problem.

--
mko