ezPyCrypto keys

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 26 22:37:46 EDT 2003

I have been playing around with ezPyCrypto.  I generated and printed a
key with

    >>> import ezPyCrypto
    >>> k = ezPyCrypto.key(2048)
    >>> print k.exportKey()

I noticed there were a lot of N's and M's, too many to occur by chance

    s=k.exportKeyPrivate()
    >>> s.count('N')/float(len(s))
    0.09788189987163029
    >>> s.count('M')/float(len(s))
    0.11

I quit python and restarted it and generated a new key and found the
same thing.  Ditto when I exported the private key.  I also found the
keys generated in the two sessions to be quite similar (35% characters
at a given position identical).

What's going on?  Is it abnormal for so many of the characters in the
exported string to be the same?  The machine I am running on is a
server that rarely has anyone logged in directly.  Is this a problem
with not enough randomness in /dev/random?

Thanks for any suggestions,
John Hunter

ezPyCrypto-0.1.1
pycrypto-1.9a6
python2.2
mother:/var/tmp/ezPyCrypto-0.1.1> uname -a
Linux mother.paradise.lost 2.4.9 #7 Fri Oct 12 15:20:49 CDT 2001 i686
unknown