bitwise not - not what I expected

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Aug 18 09:11:19 EDT 2003

In article <bhq01j$tge$03$1 at news.t-online.com>, Michael Peuser wrote:

> A very good point! I might add that this is my no means an exotic feature.
> Mathematically speaking there is great charme in computing just inside the
> invervall (-1,+1). And if you have no FPU you can do *a lot* of pseudo real
> operations. You have get track of the scale of course - it is a little bit
> like working with sliding rules if anyone can remember those tools ;-)

Sure.  I've got two sitting at home.  :)

FWIW, it used to be fairly common for process-control systems
to define operations only over the interval (-1,+1).  This made
implimentation easy, and the input and output devices
(temp/pressure sensors, valves, whatnot) all had pre-defined
ranges that mapped logically to the (-1,+1) interval.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  The SAME WAVE keeps
                                  at               coming in and COLLAPSING