slow progress with IDE's ...

Chris Q chris at no.spam
Thu Aug 28 09:03:59 EDT 2003

hello list.

i'm newish to python - i have written a program involving win32com and
wxPython, and making progress... but not as much as i had expected!

for starters i have yet to find an adequate means of discovering class
methods (and onwards through inheritance) through either the IDLE or
pythonwin ide's. given the degree of introspection possible, and with
docstrings too, is there no tool yet to point-and-click through a
piece of source code to discern what methods are available, their 'def
xyz(...)' beginnings, and their description?
are my expectations running ahead of reality?

my next difficulty stems from, admittedly my own poor code, the
regular occurrence of windows C++ library failure messages which wipes
out completely my IDE (idle and pythonwin) - if i was not so keen to
run my code immediately, then i should be forced to run the debugger
every change i made to be certain not to lose a dozen open editing
windows!  is it me or the IDE at fault here?

another thing is breaking into looping code - how the hell is it done?
if i run BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer.serve_forever() under IDLE, for
instance, i can close the interactive window but re-running the module
causes a complete hang, which only the windows task manager can deal
with, again with the loss of the entire IDE.
with pythonwin even the interactive window is not amenable to closing
and Control-C does not work.
GUI code gives the same trouble.

i do not seem to have reached the 'comfort zone' of developing with
python.
any recommendations welcome on best development setup/efficient
development habits on windows w2k platform, issues not covered by the
python tutorials i have seen.

thanks
chris