Socket Memory Leak

William Trenker wtrenker at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 8 09:36:04 EDT 2003

During the past week a serious memory leak was reported in the Socket module for Python 2.3 (Bug #783312).  This was confirmed and fixed with a patch.  According to the Python bug tracker the bug report is now closed with a note that socketmodule.c was updated in CVS to fix the problem.

When I look at the Python patches on Sourceforge I can't see the patch that fixes problem 783312.  This is probably because I don't understand the process of what happens between the time a fix is implemented in CVS and the time it shows up as a patch on the patch list.  Can someone enlighten me on this process?

Also, when a significant bug like this is identified and fixed, is this announced on a list somewhere so we can incorporate critical fixes like this?

Of course this might all be documented on the Python site and I've overlooked it.  A link to such documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Bill