Python vs. C#

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Mon Aug 11 02:31:04 CEST 2003

> Microsoft does almost all of its internal development in C# now.

Do you have any basis for this claim? I would imagine that most of
Microsoft's development effort goes into Office and Windows, and neither
of those products currently use the .NET framework.

> It is not going away.

I agree.

> C# is, essentially, the .NET Framework.

Nope. That statement is as meaningless as "C++ is, essentially, the
STL".

> But comparing C# to Python, Python isn't much higher level than C#.

Yes it is. I find it odd that you claim to have very little knowledge of
C# yet you make some very bold claims as to its characteristics
(actually, IIRC, you have only made one specific claim about the
semantics of the language and that was incorrect).

> They've got "similar stuff," with Python adding some exotic features.

No, they don't have "similar stuff". C# is missing a lot of features
with respect to Python. And Python has, at least for GUI programming, no
equivalent to the .NET framework.

> Python gets style points, but tools maturity, ubiquity, and future
> count for more than style points.

I wouldn't use the word "maturity" when discussing C# tools but the VS
.NET IDE is quite impressive when it works correctly.

I'm starting to think that you are trolling. Are you?

Cheers,
Brian