freeze utility and pickle

Aki Niimura akineko at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 21 10:45:25 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem "freezing" my program using freeze.py under Solaris.
My program works fine if I invoke it as a Python script.
However, it generates a LookupError when I started the "frozen" program.

evelyn neko [33] >> websc
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "websc.py", line 312, in ?
    main()
  File "websc.py", line 171, in main
    account = Account()
  File "websc_account.py", line 65, in __init__
    dict = pickle.loads(binascii.a2b_base64(passcode_encoded))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/pickle.py", line 1394, in loads
    return Unpickler(file).load()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/pickle.py", line 872, in load
    dispatch[key](self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/pickle.py", line 985, in load_string
    self.append(rep.decode("string-escape"))
LookupError: unknown encoding: string-escape

I had this problem with Python 2.2.3 and I was hoping this would be gone
in the new release, Python 2.3 but it turned out otherwise.

It seems some package is missing from the list of modules to be included
in the freeze process. I tried to figure out which is missing.
But due to my shallow knowledge, I failed to track down the culprit.

Can anybody give me a clue where to look for?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Aki Niimura