My future Python IDE article

Mike Thompson n/a
Wed Aug 27 19:26:06 EDT 2003

"Gerhard Häring" <gh at ghaering.de> wrote in message
> Mike Thompson wrote:
> > "David Mertz" wrote:
> >>So c.l.py readers... make the case for your favorite one getting on the
> >>list.
> >
> > I'm surprised no one has mentioned Boa.  I tryed Wing & Komodo, before
finding
> > Boa.
>
> Boa is far from finished. Depending on your wxPython version and how you
> use the IDE, it could work surprisingly well or annoy you to no end in
> my experience.
>
> I'd recommend to not review alpha software like Boa.

That's not my experience. I've found Boa both stable, functional and well
priced.

I tried Wing and generally liked it, except that I'm used to an editor with
tabs for each open file and I found Wing's "one file at a time arrangement"
didn't match my way of working.

I tried Komodo, which has an enormous feature set that goes well beyond python,
which I liked until I came to run my first wxPython based program under the
debugger and it froze. I never did get to the bottom of why.

In between all this I attempted to use Eric but had difficulty getting it
setup. From memory, after some googling around, I found a few similar reports
and abandoned the effort.

I then tried Boa and haven't moved since.

My search has occurred over the last six months. About twelve months ago I also
tried the Secret Labs IDE (can't remember the name) which I found a bit of work
initially, but ended up quite liking. However this product now seems to have
been withdrawn from the market.

If you have to restrict it to 3, my suggestion would be:
    Wing
    Boa
    IDLE

That would give you a mix of commerical and free. All are cross-platform.

If not IDLE, then Komodo which has a very inexpensive licence for personal
use..

--
Mike